The Lutheran Formation Certificate program is an academic professional certificate program for men and women who are seeking to become ordained pastors in the ELCIC (Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada). Applicants must be approved ELCIC candidates for ordination who have studied at non-Lutheran seminaries, or are pastors from a non-Lutheran tradition.
The aim of the program is to give the student intensive reflection on the Lutheran understanding of the core sources of the faith.
Generally, the certificate program is one year of full-time study.
Students may take intensive courses either onsite at the seminary, or through a combination of onsite and distributive learning courses. The intensive courses are all two weeks long (all day). Visit our Learning Formats page for more detail.
The curriculum is comprised of:
- Nine, 3-credit courses
- Participation in processes of spiritual formation and worship
Note: Although not required for the Certificate from LTS, students in the Lutheran Formation Certificate program will be expected by the ELCIC Synodical Candidacy Committee (CC) to have completed one unit of CPE/PCE and a supervised internship, before they will be eligible for the Western Synods Examination (Colloquy Exam) and/or being placed on the roster of ordained ministers in the ELCIC.
Requirements for Admission
- Attainment of a Bachelor of Arts degree, or its equivalent
- Completion, or near completion, of a Master of Divinity (MDiv) degree at a non ELCA or ELCIC seminary
- Synodical Candidacy Committee endorsement
- Completion of the online Application for Admission, plus
- Submission of supporting documents as outlined in the application from
- Submission of $75 application fee
- Documentation of a criminal record check and vulnerable sector registry check (as available).
Tuition / Fees
Please visit our Tuition Page for a summary of tuition and other program fees.
Please visit our Admissions Page to learn how to apply.
Learn More About the Program
Read our current Academic Handbook (for MDiv, MTS and Certificates) for more detail about the Lutheran Formation Certificate and about studying at our seminary.
Time Frame to Apply
Please visit our "How to Apply" page.
Students must apply online: