The Lutheran Theological Seminary (LTS) library is part of a large library system that includes collections from the LTS library plus three other theological schools in Saskatoon; these include the College of Emmanel and St. Chad, St. Andrew's College and Horizon College and Seminary. Together, the four libraries operate as a unified system that provides students and faculty from all four colleges, and public users, with access to resources on a wide range of theological topics.
Through a joint collection development policy, each library collects in several specialized subject areas, embracing a wide range of theological topics. Each also maintains a general collection of books and periodicals to meet the needs of courses offered by its College. All currently registered STU students, faculty, and staff as well as members of the public are eligible to borrow material from any STU library.
- Horizon College & Seminary's A C Schindel Library Collection has 21,000 volumes. Areas of concentration include Reformation theology (particularly the writings of John Wesley) and the history and tradition of Pentecostalism. Their collection features resources with a strong evangelical focus.
- The College of Emmanuel & St. Chad Collection (formerly the H.E. Sellers Library) has 21,000 volumes. Areas of concentration include the liturgical tradition and the history and tradition of Anglicanism.
- The Lutheran Theological Seminary Collection (formerly the Otto Olson Memorial Library) Saskatoon contains 45,000 volumes. Biblical studies, Near Eastern Christianity, and the Reformation (particularly Luther’s work) are significant strengths. The library hosts the Centre for Rural Community Leadership and Ministry collection, as well as a Mennonite collection and a Jewish-Christian relations collection.
- The St. Andrew’s College Collection has 37,000 volumes and receives 30 periodicals. It has extensive holdings on the Reformed churches and traditions and on Canadian church history with special emphasis on the prairie context. It has developed a particularly strong collection in the areas of liberation theology, feminist theology and current social issues. The library hosts a collection of United Church New Curriculum materials.
The Saskatoon Theological Unnion (STU) collections consist of over 100,000 monographs, over 6000 ebooks and numerous theological, religious and philosophical digital resources through EBSCO. Our ATLA database includes a scripture searching tool, allowing users to locate scholarly articles and book reviews on specific scripture, chapters and verses.
The four libraries operate in two locations:
1) Saskatoon Theological Union Library is located in the St. Andrew's College building at 1121 College Drive (on U of S campus) in Saskatoon, SK. The LTS, Emmanuel & St Chad and St. Andrew's collections are housed in this locatoin.
2) Horizon College & Seminary Library ls located at 604 Webster Street, Saskatoon SK in the Forest Grove subdivision (7 km east of the University of Saskatchewan).
Library Online Library Access:
The online library catalogue can be found at http://saskatoon.mlasolutions.com/union.aspx
Anyone can obtain a library card, however online resources may only be available to faculty and students due to licensing restrictions.